The creamy chicken and leek filling in this pie is so delicious, but the puff pastry makes it something really special. This is a comfort food dinner that all the family will enjoy.
The ingredient of Chicken and leek pie
- 75g unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Masterfoods Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 leeks, trimmed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 750g chicken thigh fillets, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Salad leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken and leek pie
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, leek and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until leek is just starting to soften. Add celery. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to high. Add chicken. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Transfer mixture to a heatproof bowl. Stand for 20 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, make condensed chicken soup: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour. Stir to create a paste. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk until mixture forms a smooth and thick paste. Gradually whisk in stock, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and salt until mixture is smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced.
- Add peas, condensed chicken soup and milk to the chicken mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Pour the mixture into a 3cm-deep, 20cm (base) glass or ceramic pie dish. Top with pastry. Trim edge. Brush top of pastry with egg yolk. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden and puffed. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve pie with salad leaves.
Nutritions of Chicken and leek piecalories: 814.034 calories
calories: 45.3 grams fat
calories: 20.9 grams saturated fat
calories: 49.9 grams carbohydrates
calories: 49.5 grams protein
calories: 254 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1521 milligrams sodium