Take leftover cooked chicken and transform it into a healthy, heart- and diabetes-friendly lunch box idea. For a complete, balanced dinner, serve with a plate of steamed vegetables.
The ingredient of Chicken, date and barley salad with preserved lemon dressing
- 2/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 6 medjool dates, seeds removed, chopped
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 80g baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 pieces (40g) preserved lemon, flesh discarded, rind mashed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Steamed vegetables, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken, date and barley salad with preserved lemon dressing
- Cook barley in a saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Rinse under cold water. Drain. Allow to cool. Divide between 2 airtight containers. Add chicken, dates, radish, spinach and coriander. Refrigerate until required.
- Combine preserved lemon, oil and cumin in a small bowl. Divide between 2 small containers with lids. Season with pepper. Refrigerate until required.
- When ready to serve, add dressing to barley mixture. Toss to combine. Serve with steamed vegetables.
Nutritions of Chicken, date and barley salad with preserved lemon dressingcalories: 547.31 calories
calories: 20.7 grams fat
calories: 3.6 grams saturated fat
calories: 60.2 grams carbohydrates
calories: 25.2 grams protein
calories: 56 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 245 milligrams sodium