From the seedy crunch crust to the creamy egg filling, this magically healthier vegetable quiche is a delicious low-cal option for easy entertaining.
The ingredient of Asparagus and baby beet quiche
- 55g (1/2 cup) quinoa flakes
- 80g (1/2 cup) sunflower seeds
- 60g (1/3 cup) tamari almonds
- 100g (2/3 cup) plain flour
- 100g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chilled water
- Baby beetroot leaves, to serve
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 40g baby spinach
- 4 eggs
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 60ml (1/4 cup) pouring cream
- 60g vintage cheddar, grated
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed, blanched
- 3 baby golden (or red) beetroot, trimmed, thinly sliced
The instruction how to make Asparagus and baby beet quiche
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease a round 3.5cm-deep, 23cm (base measurement) loose-based fluted tart tin.
- Process the quinoa flakes, sunflower seeds and almonds in a food processor until finely chopped. Add flour and butter. Process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and water. Process until the mixture just comes together as a dough. Turn onto lightly floured baking paper and knead gently for 1 minute or until just smooth. Pat into a flat disc. Wrap up in the paper. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Roll pastry out on lightly floured baking paper until large enough to cover base and side of prepared tin. Flip pastry over rolling pin and carefully remove the paper. Ease it into the tin, pressing into the edges. Trim the excess. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Place tin on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights or rice. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for filling, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook leek, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add spinach. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until wilted. Season. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and cream in a jug. Season. Scatter leek mixture over pastry base. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Place asparagus on top, trimming to fit if necessary. Pour over egg mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Decorate with beetroot. Bake for 30 minutes or until filling is set and golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Remove from the tin. Serve sprinkled with beetroot leaves.
Nutritions of Asparagus and baby beet quichecalories: 324.084 calories
calories: 5 grams fat
calories: 21 grams saturated fat
calories: 17 grams carbohydrates
calories: 15 grams protein